Identity Theft

If You Believe That Someone Has Taken Over Your Identity:

  1. Prepare a portfolio that establishes your identity. Example: birth certificate, baptismal records, proof of fingerprint record (military, employment, criminal), driver’s license, passport.
  2. Contact local credit reporting agencies. TransUnion – Fraud Victim Assistance Department (800) 680-7289 or, Equifax Consumer Fraud Division (800) 525-6285 or, Experian Consumer Assistance (888) 397-3742 or You can obtain a free credit report online at
  3. Report the identity theft to your local Police Department. Provide any and all related documentation including copies of your portfolio, credit report, and any letters or communications from creditors as an attachment for the Officer taking the report.
  4. Prepare a form letter to the disputed creditors explaining the identity theft and any pertinent information that you have learned. Include a copy of the police report and your portfolio information. Send this information, return receipt requested, to the creditors. Demand that the fraudulent information be removed from your credit report. Advise the creditor that a reply is expected and that failure to comply under the Consumer Protection Laws will result in a lawsuit against the creditor.
  5. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission by calling the Identity Theft Hotline, 1-877-438-4338 or on-line at:
  6. Keep a well organized record of all persons you have contacted with their phone numbers and what was said. Always/ALWAYS/ALWAYS follow up these contacts in writing.
CFPD Happenings